R-1 Visa

Religious Workers – Temporary


  1. The applicant must be coming to work at least 20 hours per week for a petitioning religious organization with a 501(c)(3) exempt tax status or a tax exempt religious organization affiliated with the religious denomination
  2. The applicant must be coming to work as a minister or to perform a religious vocation or occupation in a professional or non-professional capacity at the request of the petitioning organization.
  3. The applicant must have been a member of the religious organization for at least two years preceding the time of application for admission.

Stay in the United States

The applicant’s stay must not exceed 5 years.  Applicants are granted an initial period of stay not to exceed 30 months, a renewal may be granted for up to 30 months.

Spouse and Dependents

The spouse and dependents under age 21 may be admitted in R-2 status for the same period of time granted to the R-1visa holder.  Employment authorization is not available to R-2 visa holders.

Inspection of Employer

USCIS officials will most likely conduct an on-site inspection of the religious organization.

Denial of Petition

The religious organization may file an appeal.

Contact us to obtain further information about the R-1 visa or to discuss other matters related to immigration, business or securities law.