R-1 Visa

Religious Workers - Temporary


  1. The applicant must be coming to work at least 20 hours per week for a petitioning religious organization with a 501(c)(3) exempt tax status or a tax exempt religious organization affiliated with the religious denomination
  2. The applicant must be coming to work as a minister or to perform a religious vocation or occupation in a professional or non-professional capacity at the request of the petitioning organization.
  3. The applicant must have been a member of the religious organization for at least two years preceding the time of application for admission.

Stay in the United States

The applicant’s stay must not exceed 5 years.  Applicants are granted an initial period of stay not to exceed 30 months, a renewal may be granted for up to 30 months.

Spouse and Dependents

The spouse and dependents under age 21 may be admitted in R-2 status for the same period of time granted to the R-1visa holder.  Employment authorization is not available to R-2 visa holders.

Inspection of Employer

USCIS officials will most likely conduct an on-site inspection of the religious organization.

Denial of Petition

The religious organization may file an appeal.

Contact us to obtain further information about the R-1 visa or to discuss other matters related to immigration, business or securities law.

© 2021 Dalkis D. Muir Law Office
33 Broad Street, Suite 1100, Boston, MA 02109
| Phone: 617-440-7499

Business Law | Business Immigration | Securities Law | Resources | Español

Attorney Website Design by
Zola Creative

Dalkis D. Muir Law Office serves clients in Massachusetts including Allston, Arlington, Beverly, Boston, Brighton, Brockton, Brookline, Cambridge, Charlestown, Chelsea, Dedham, Dorchester, Everett, Lynn, Malden, Melrose, Milton, Needham, Newton, Peabody, Quincy, Randolph, Revere, Roslindale, Roxbury, Salem, Somerville, Springfield, Wakefield, Waltham, Wellesley, and Watertown.